Monday, April 26, 2010

Style Icon: Pat Benatar

 Image: Rolling Stone

I had three major style influences as a child: female rockers, female soul singers and my mother. Exposed to rock and roll early on (thanks, Mom!), I developed what can only be described as a style crush on Pat Benatar. Tough as nails with her mezzo-soprano vocal range, she was kind of my rocker girl hero. I bought every album, CD, poster and magazine interview this rock dynamo put out there. Pat, a Julliard-trained singer, is one of the top-selling female artists of all-time and one of 80's top recipients of platinum records with two certified multiplatinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums and nineteen Top 40 singles to her credit. Let's face it: the chick can rock.


Pat's style evolved through the 70's and 80's, but her Parisian rocker look is still my favorite. Variations of this look are still seen in downtown clubs to this day. Reinterpret the look for now with a Forever 21 Striped Short-Sleeve Top ($12.80), True Religion "Billy" Leather Pants ($594) and instead of ankle boots, let's throw in these Rock and Republic "Lotus" Platform Pumps ($295). I'm sure Pat would approve. Thin gold hoops, a badass sooty eye and you're running with the shadows of the night.



In honor of this week's style icon, turn up your speakers (or put on the headphones) to rock out to 'You Better Run', one of my personal favorites and the inspiration for this tres cool look. Pat Benatar, thanks for showing all of us that we're truly as bad as we wanna be, that we're invincible.

1 comment:

Lianne said...

YEAHHHHH!! I had this album and used to rock out in the basement! Great throwback and even better parisian rocker look ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Google Analytics

Quantcast