Friday, April 23, 2010

Designer Spotlight: An Interview with Rebecca Minkoff


Anyone who knows me is aware of my obsession with shoes and handbags. Nothing makes me salivate more quickly than a gorgeous, amazing handbag and one of my favorites is designer Rebecca Minkoff. Sewing since the age of 8 and designing clothing since the age of 18, this clothing and accessories designer got her start in the handbag arena when her friend, actress Jenna Elfman, asked her to design a handbag for her next movie. That, my friends, is how the 'Morning After’ bag was born and the rest, as they say, is fashion history.

Rebecca designs not only covet-worthy handbags but jewelry (I have three bracelets), clothing (to die for), and accessories (swoon). The designing dynamo can also count herself among Hollywood's favorite designers with well-known fans like Lauren Conrad, Hilary Duff, Bijou Phillips, Jessica Simpson, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Debra Messing. I recently had a chance to chat with Rebecca and here's what she had to say:

FSB: What do you think has brought your line such success?
Rebecca Minkoff: I think my line has been so successful because it provides consumers with high-quality contemporary bags at an affordable price point. I work to ensure all of the designs are both fashionable and functional.  I also make a point to listen to consumer feedback that I hear at events and read on blogs and try and incorporate some of their ideas.

FSB: Can you share your inspirations? What’s on your mood board? What inspires you to create?  
Rebecca: I get a lot of inspiration from vintage pieces.  I also love to travel throughout Europe for inspiration.  My fall 2010 collection theme is Paris Je t’aime and has Parisian influences. My mood board is a mix of vintage designs, beautiful photography, and sketches.


FSB: Can you share a little about the spring collection? Who is the Rebecca Minkoff woman this season? What are some of your personal picks from the line this season?
Rebecca: The spring collection is fun and playful. The Rebecca Minkoff woman has a distinct sense of style: she isn't flashy, but makes a statement with her clothing and accessories.  She's fun and confident.  Also, because my bags are great for day-to-night, they appeal to women who are always on the go! Some of my favorite bag collections this spring are the Easy Rider, Tie Dye, and Linear Studs.

FSB: What’s your favorite bag? Which one are you carrying right now?
Rebecca: I'm wearing my 3-Zip MAC in Black, a playful update on my best-selling Morning After Clutch. I love zippers as a decorative accent, and they're also great for organization! The size is perfect for both work and for dinner/drinks afterwards.

Rebecca's fabulous and amazing items are available at Searle, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Henri Bendel and Shopbop.com and over 200 boutiques across the US, France, Japan, Russia and Canada. Seriously, ladies: no wardrobe is complete with a Minkoff so check out her site, learn more, go shopping and get some Minkoff Magic for your wardrobe.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Google Analytics

Quantcast