Friday, June 4, 2010

To Do List: Try Organic Sake On Tap at Pure Food and Wine



As it is most likely obvious, I love to eat. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't call myself a "foodie," but I am dangerously close to it. I'm easy company to eat with because when I eat out, I try only to eat at the best places (until a dive craving hit, but even then the food is damn good.)



One of my favorite restaurants in the entire Manhattan area is Pure Food and Wine. The restaurant is based on raw food principles, which means there's nothing cooked over approximately 118 degrees and the ingredients are all vegan: no meat, no dairy, no preservatives, nothing. Everything you love to eat on a non-raw diet is translated into dishes that are not only incredibly delicious, they're good for you. It's like the adult version of baking brownies with spinach: you're eating healthy without really being cognizant of such a thing. I adore it.


The food is one thing, the desserts are spectacular (ask for the ice cream sampler - to die for), but, of course you know I'm going to talk about the drinks. Pure Food and Wine is now the first restaurant in Manhattan to offer saké on tap, especially premium saké from the organic, domestic (made in Oregon and America's only) sakery, SakeOne. Saké on tap is earth-friendly; it costs less to ship and minimizes waste because it eliminates glass bottles.


The cocktails at Pure are simply amazing because they only use saké to craft them, in lieu of liquor. Everything is made from housemade organic pressed juices and created by in-house sommelier Joey Repice and even though saké isn't exactly raw, it's full of nutrients, rich in amino acids and is considered to be a bit of a love potion in its native country of Japan. Add to that the low-to-no-hangover factor and you can understand the mass appeal. When booking a table, go for the back garden: it's spectacular and a great place to curl up for drinks with friends or a romantic hideaway for a cozy date. Order my favorite, the Master Cleanse Tini. You won't be disappointed.


Links to the menu and the restaurant information are below. Make a reservation the next time you're in the area and maybe I'll stop by. I plan on spending A LOT of time here in the future and for those who want to live and drink as healthy as possible, it's kind of a must.


Pure Food and Wine
54 Irving Place, New York, NY  10003
phone | 212-477-1010
hours | lunch 12-4pm  dinner 5:30-11pm

1 comment:

On the Glam said...

Haven't ever been here... Looks like I need to get my butt to Irving Place

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Google Analytics

Quantcast